Factors influencinglate bookingby pregnantwomenfor antenatalcare in the catchment area of St Apollinaris hospital

Ntombifikile Catherine Thekiso, Jennifer Ann Smit

Abstract


Summary of the proposed research (restrict to 100 words)Maternal health is one of the priority programmes within the South African Department of Health. According to “Saving Mothers” Report one of the strategies that are recommended in order to reduce maternal and perinatal mortality, is early booking for Antenatal care by pregnant women. [4] The Government of South Africa declared all primary health care services free for all in 1996. However many women do not utilize these services, and pregnant women come very late for booking.[6] Failure to comply with early antenatal care attendance during pregnancy could compromise the lives of both mother and the newborn child. Many problems of pregnancy are best detected early during an antenatal visit so that an intervention can be planned to prevent complications. Late booking could lead to preventable complications occurring to the mother or new born child.[3] In Sisonke District, only 29% of pregnant women book early leaving 71% as late bookers. In Ingwe Municipality, only 14% pregnant women book early and 86% are all late bookers. [2] This late booking occurs despite all the health education messages given about the advantages of booking early and complications which might occur as a result of late booking.